Friday 9 January 2015

about devils


This picture is for A, who like me, first heard about Tazmania as a child through the Looney Tunes cartoon character of Tazmanian Devil. If I knew where the country was, I think it was a while longer before I knew devils were real, and even longer to be sure how big they are (small dog) and what their actual rather than cartoon characteristics were. However, as with A, the devil is the first thing I think of when anybody mentions Tassie.


And now the devils are at risk, their numbers seriously depleted by devil facial tumour disease. Despite the sign I did not see one (perhaps because they are nocturnal) although I did see a wallaby –shaped thing, which could have been, I learn from the parks and wildlifeservice, a potoroo, pademelon or bettong.


No comments:

Post a Comment