Sunday 5 October 2014

finding the edge


Just before I left for Sydney, I got invited to afternoon tea with someone who has worked in this city for many years. When I asked why she didn't stay, she said that Sydney lacked an edginess that she missed - and expected to find - in urban life.

Funnily, that was the same phrase I had been using in talking about my own preconceptions, that Sydney was relatively bland - without an edge - compared to many of the world's great cities.  But what do I mean by edge?  Interestingly chaotic, even dangerous? An intense density of people, buildings, activities? Some unspecifiable form of urbanity? Does Sydney really lack it? Have I just been reading the surface or only seeing the tourist version? And why should I want edginess at all- maybe that is my problem, not Sydney's.

No comments:

Post a Comment